Friday, February 27, 2009

Before...

When Joey and I got engaged, we looked at furniture for our first apartment and realized we were dirt poor. Luckily, we came into lots of donated furniture. In fact, in our first apartment we didn't have a single new piece of furniture. Joey found our huge, green, feather-shedding monstrosity at work... which was a disaster cleanup company. They mostly dealt with sewage leaks and mold, but lucky for us this was just a fire damage job. Some rich person with horrible taste out there had this couch custom made complete with pea green flower print and fabulous dust ruffle. We never smelled any smoke on it and the people who owned it got a nice chunk of insurance money. Since then, it has served us well... aside from the feathers scratching us and going up our noses and the cushions sliding off daily. I can still picture Joey standing on his dad's truck lifting it up to our window (it wouldn't fit through the door) to Matt and me. Then having to drop it back out the window when we moved to Dayton.

I'm not just posting this to show my love for my couch, but to rejoice in the fact that by tomorrow it will be gone and so will our dining table! In their places, we will have STORE BOUGHT furniture that matches! Hooray! So here is the before picture of our living room. Stay tuned for the after picture.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Tease.

jessica said...

It's almost as cool as the orange velvet couch I owned in college followed by the fantastic brown velvet couch we owned when we first got married.

Matt N Karen said...

You grow to love that first furniture don't you? NOT!

Anonymous said...

It's reassuring to know that my hubby and I aren't the only ones with seriously used furniture. Our sofa and loveseat are over 20 years old and ORANGE. We have light blue slipcovers for them but I still know what they look like underneath! If they weren't still comfy we'd chunk them and get new ones, but hey, if it ain't broke.....

Taneil said...

I can't wait to see your new stuff! It is always so fun to redecorate!

Heather's Pink said...

That's nothing. We had a bed that was over 50 years old with the original mattress.

SarahPyrah said...

when do we get to see pics of the new furniture?

Lighthouse said...

I can't wait to see the new living room! :)