Saturday, February 13, 2010

MMMM Donuts!

We had a new donut shop open up here in Dayton. The donuts are delicious...and overpriced. My solution: make homemade potato donuts. I have had this recipe since Jr. High, but I only made it the one time for homework. That did not turn out well. My dad convinced me it would work to use leftover mashed potatoes (from who knows how long ago) and my grandma told me to crank up the oil because it wasn't boiling (without anything in it). Needless to say I ended up with blackened, gooey, potato lumps. Yum.
Round two went sooo much better! I started the dough last night because it has to raise for 2 hours and then another hour after cutting out the shapes. Max even helped out with the mixing. He really loves "cooking" and I need to find the patience to let him help more.
So here's the recipe from 8th grade Home Ec (thanks Bev!):
Scald and cool 1 cup of milk
In the meantime:
dissolve 1 T yeast in 1/4 C warm water, set aside
Combine cooled milk, 1/4 C sugar, 1t salt, and 1/4 C shortening
Stir in 3/4C mashed potatoes (mash 'em good) and 2 eggs
Add yeast/water. Stir until combined
Add enough flour to make a soft dough. The softer the dough, the lighter the donuts. However, it has to be sturdy enough to roll and cut out shapes.
Let rise 1.5 to 2 hours
Roll out 1/2 thick. Cut into shapes (I discovered it's much easier to do smaller shapes, kind of donut hole size) Some of my big hearts looked like those lovely sacs people hang from their tow hitchs when I finally got them into the fryer. mmmm schwety balls.
Place on well greased cookie sheet and let rise another hour. Or put them in the fridge until you want to make them and let them rise after you take them out.
Deep fat fry (sooo healthy) until just golden brown on both sides.
Let cool until you can handle them. Shake in cinnamon/sugar or frost. Joey said to add the banana as a part of your complete breakfast

Chocolate fudge frosting (This makes a lot so be prepared to eat spoonfuls from the bowl afterwards mmmm)
3 C powdered sugar
1/3C cocoa powder (I'm generous on this one)
1/3C melted butter
1/4C boiling water
1/4t vanilla
blend until smooth

It was a big hit and we are all sick from sugar overload. Happy Valentines Day!

6 comments:

Heather's Pink said...

Does making them heart shape mean they are heart healthy?

jessica said...

The look soooo delicious! Annie says, "Mmm mmm mmm, que delicioso."

SarahPyrah said...

I am excited to give um a try! can we change the recipe name to "Schwetty Balls"? I have my ward cookbook requesting recipes and would love to enter that one.

Jen Johnson said...

Those look yummy! I love Max's apron. Way cute.

Matt N Karen said...

Those look delicous, but I'm more about buying them than making the mess!

Guano & Associates said...

You should have known better. It's a long established tradition that Dad ALWAYS tries to use leftover mashed potatoes in ANY recipe. I was 25 before I found out that potato pancakes are NOT Krustez mixed in with leftover mash.