Thursday, January 15, 2009

Those Crazy Lights

This year is off to a good start. I realized that this is as good as I'm going to get at somewhat of a journal, so I thought I'd give an update on us. Plus, I don't do the whole Christmas letter thing, so this makes up for it!

Max:

Oh where to start. He had his check up and I bet you can guess where he fell in the percentiles. The nurse reassured me that he is very close to being in the 20% for weight... all 22 pounds of him. He is still tall at 33 inches. So tall in fact, that he can reach the top drawer in the kitchen and pull out carving knives. He loves pushing buttons (literally and non literally). He frequently changes the cycle on the dishwasher and tries to turn on the stove. He is a good helper though, he loves to close the dryer door for me... sometimes before I want him to. He can say a few words (I use the term loosely). He can definitely say "shoes," but I think he may be referring to his feet. He can also say, "hello," "knock, knock (which he also acts out)," "socks," and "cracker." Most of these probably would still sound like gibberish to the untrained ear, but I speak Max and therefore we get along... until Daddy comes home and then I'm chopped liver. he loves being with Joey and really loves tools. He could bang a hammer on the drive way all day if we let him.

Joey:

He completed his FCC license in December. The class was super expensive (not to mention the week off of work unpaid) but he did really well, like always. Yeah, that's right, he could be the announcer on a cruise ship or be a DJ on the radio. Actually, he needs it to work at Sierra Pacific (his dream job). He has turned in his resume there and hopefully his connections there will pull some strings! Joey's also been itching to work outside the house (no closet doors yet, ahem). He loves pulling out ugly trees and getting rid of weeds, which I am very thankful for! He just fixed our side gate that was barely hanging on. He's a perfectionist, but it's worth it. He wants to finish the backyard this summer, and is a little disappointed his pack mule (aka me) will be out of service by then. I'm still working on convincing him that I will be huge and pregnant and then have a newborn while he talks of camping trips and anniversary cruises.
Me:

Well, I get the question a lot of, "So... what do you do all day?" I mainly chase a knife wielding toddler around keeping him from ingesting poisonous substances. It's kind of strange to me, but I've had feelings of wanting to teach again... hmm, guess those stinky fifth graders weren't so hard after all! Seriously, I love staying home with Max. I love watching him figure out new things like how to use a fork. He has a great sense of humor. Yesterday we were playing in the backyard and I showed him how to hit the tree trunk with a stick. He seemed to think that was ok, but chasing me and trying to poke me in the butt with it was much more fun! I have been working on a couple projects myself. Toni and Jake (we all know who really picked it out) gave me this awesome magnet board that I got to paint and decorate. It was the perfect gift! I'm sure I'll get more crafty as the nesting instinct starts to kick in... hey, maybe I'll have a clean house then too!

5 comments:

Leslie said...

At least Max isn't poking you in the butt with a carving knife. Do you make funny sound effects when you get poked, making it all the more fun for him?

Also, with my cookies, you have to talk to the dough, kind-of like plants, for them to turn out perfectly for you.

Heather's Pink said...

Cute board! Brother and Max could be in the same wrestling weight. He weighs in at a whopping 25 lbs.

jessica said...

Annie is the same way about the dryer so I am constantly throwing clothes part way in so she can't get it shut. Then she spends all her time trying to get the clothes that are hanging out of the dryer so she can close the door. By then I'm usually finished.

I think I had better keep Annie away from your cute light weights for now. I think she tips at 33lbs, then again if Max has a butcher knife, it evens things out.

Taneil said...

Very well written, Heather. You guys had a successful 2008. Let's hope 2009 is even more exciting.

kenzie blog said...

That board looks great, you did an awesome job. I'm glad you like it!!! You did way better than I could have done.